Yes! Even the ones on your phone
Were you affected by the recent Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp blackout? I’ve seen many people on my personal feed and in different groups trying to figure out why the images weren’t loading, why they were not able to upload or download anything on all the 3 platforms. Many people think their pictures are safe on social media and don’t have to print them. But the truth is, the technology we have today may become obsolete tomorrow. If we are not careful with how we handle our precious memories, it will be so painful if we ever lose them.
For example, we once had Orkut. We shared many of our pictures on that platform. Similarly Google+. But now both of those platforms don’t exist anymore. Do you even remember which pictures you’ve shared on those platforms thinking they are safe there? But if we print the pictures that are precious and mean a lot to us, we can always go back through them. It can also become a favorite pastime for your family to look through all the memories.
How to organize an year worth of memories?
Now, I know it can become very expensive to print each and every picture you take. Because, let’s get real. With the cell phone cameras, everyone is taking a LOT of pictures everyday. Sharing those on social media is a great way to show them off to your friends, but not a safe option to archive them forever. I have a perfect solution for you! Do this and you will have a great time reliving those memories…
- Pick the few that you think represents your everyday life, those few that represent your kids’ personalities, a few of your favorites from a trip you’ve taken that year.
- Print those pictures as 4×6 at the end of every month and keep adding every month throughout the year.
- Get an album (search for an archival quality album) from Amazon for example and add those prints in order from Jan-Dec.
- There are also other options, like photo books and albums if you are familiar with designing them.
- Viola, there is your annual album. Enjoy a cozy evening flipping through the album and reliving your precious memories.
I made albums this way for all my cell phone captured pictures and it cost to be approximately $200 for a year worth of memories! Don’t you just love that?
Of course, have your photographer create a beautiful heirloom album or wall art of your professional portraits. Nothing can match the quality of professional labs. Below are a few of the beautiful heirloom products I offer to my clients.
I am Swaroopa Saripalli, the photographer at Precious Pixels Photography in College Station, TX. I specialize in family portraits, magazine style couple portraits, professional headshots and branding images. Contact me to schedule a design consultation.